Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blog Post #2

Facts and Figures1)I really enjoyed the video "Did You Know? 3.0" by Karl Fisch! It gave a lot facts that kept my interest, and honestly scared me a little. I knew technology was advancing, but I did not know it was advancing as fast as the video showed. Another thing that shocked me was that 1 our 8 married couples met online. Technology is taking away the personal aspects of life. We no longer have to communicate face to face, therefore no one has to really see our emotions.
The question asking about who we asked things before google make me think! Today people are so dependent upon technology that we lack communication skills. According to this video, the amount of time it takes to reach a market audience of 50 million is increasing by a significant amount! I am sure very few on Earth can remember a day without technology. Once again, I am glad I watched this video, it gave me a new outlook on just how fast technology is emerging.

2) Mr. Winkle Wakes was an interesting video on how much the world has changed. I liked how it showed the fact that schools have not really changed. Especially with the reality of how much the world has changed. Sometimes I personally feel like Mr. Winkle because it seems like everyone is more technologically advanced than me.
Although schools are changing, they are not changing nearly as fast as the rest of the world which is why school is still comforting to some. I think schools should always have just about the same environment to them, no school should get too technologically advanced because our students still need the basics. Mr. Winkle will have to adapt the "new" world he awoke to, just as we have to adapt to all the changes most of the world is making in technology.

3)Ken Robinson's "The Importance of Creativity" video was great! It kept my attention from start to finish because he made really good points. His points were valid and made me think of how I want to teach my class. I completely agree with him about creativity being just as important as literacy. If our students aren't given the opportunity to be creative, then their imaginations leave them and if the teachers are not creative, we can't expect our students to be.
Another thing that I am glad he pointed out was that although math was important, dance was as well. Math, history, language arts, reading, and science are all important but so is art! When a school has to make cuts the first to go is art and music, which I completely disagree with. By taking art and music out of schools, this is exactly how we are killing creativity. He says that his definition of creativity is the process of having original ideas that have value. The students in our classrooms can't be original if we are taking away the freedom to use their creativity. Although I do not think going to school should be just about using your imagination, I do think more teachers should allow creativity in the classrooms. I would recommend this video to all schools!

4)Vicki Davis in the video "Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts" is the kind of teacher I aspire to be like! This school is lucky to have such an involved teacher. She doesn't stay at the front teaching, she learns as well. This proves that teachers can be involved with their class in a positive way, along with letting the students be creative. This video ties a long with what Ken Robinson was saying about letting the class be creative. Vicki Davis was allowing her to class to creative and, from what the video showed, they were enjoying it.
If I were going to teach secondary education I would do what she is doing and allow my students to teach their own peers for one class. Clearly she is learning with her class, and I think the students will remember her class for a very long time because of her method of teaching. Her class seemed enjoyable, and she seemed to really enjoy her job.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Kayla!

    These videos really make you think about technology. It is changing quickly and as educators we must stay up on all of the latest tools of our trade. I like the way you tied in technology with creativity. The way Vicki Davis is using technology is extremely creative. I agree with you, she is an outstanding teacher.

    Your blog appears to be in order and its looking great. Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete