Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blog Post #4

1) "Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?" by Scott McLeod. According to his biography, he is an associate professor in the Department of Educational Leadership and Police Studies at Iowa State University. He is also the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education. I agree with his post, but at first I did not quite understand it. Reading the comments helped me understand it a lot though. One person commented that kids know more than adults about technology, and this is so true! Children are being taught about technology in schools, and the parents are out working not learning about the newest technology. The only thing parents can really do today about their children using technology is to talk to them about the basics of internet safety.

2) The iSchool Initiative is a great idea!! Grades will go up because teacher/student communication will be more sufficient. Parents will be able to access student grades and notes without any trouble which will help increase parent involvement. Helping our environment is also a big plus! Not having to kill trees to buy textbooks will leave more money to pay teachers, and that means less unemployment.
The iSchool InitiativeMy question about this is: How much memory does this iSchool hold? Books may take up a lot of space, and all the applications may as well. I like that a seventeen year old student took the time to start a program like this. I think that it will be the next generation of schools, and that it will be successful. I enjoyed this video, and wish that my high-school would have done this.
3) When I watched "The Lost Generation," at first it kind of scared me. To think that most of it is how many people view their lives was a bit scary. When the video was reversed, it made me smile. It also made me think that we can change our world, we just have to try. We have to teach our students about hope, and why having hope is important. We also have to teach them how believing in their dreams is just as important as conquering those dreams.
4) WOW! Watching the Virtual Choir was very soothing, and something I needed to hear after looking at a computer screen for so long. It was amazing how it was put together, and they still sound great. I think it is really cool that people could use their musical talents online instead of just in person. I really enjoyed this video and will probably start showing it to other people right away.

4 comments:

  1. "Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?" by Scott McLeod
    I was confused the first time I read his post, too. It wasn't until I read the comments that I was able to fully understand his post. I agree that children know more about technology than there parents.

    The iSchool Initiative
    I think the iSchool Initiative is a great idea. However, I am a learner that does best with physical communication, instead of the cyber communication (the Internet). If we can teach kids how to learn only through cyber communication, the iSchool Initiative will be an asset not only to students, but teachers as well.

    "The Lost Generation"
    I concur that when I first watched this video, I, too, was shocked at the claims being made, and also relieved when they reversed the video. I couldn't agree more with you when you said, "We have to teach our students about hope, and why having hope is important. We also have to teach them how believing in their dreams is just as important as conquering those dreams."


    The Virtual Choir
    I thought that this was awesome. Not only was it soothing to listen to, but amazing how it was compiled. I agree with you that they sounded great.

    Overall, I enjoyed reading your comments to our assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kayla!

    I am also impressed like Amani is on the iSchool. I think the school system will be way more organized and students will have access to almost everything they need. They wont have to remember writing down homework because their teacher can post it online. Teachers, students, and parents will all be able to communicate and ask or answer questions. I think it is a fabulous idea and I guess seeing it happen in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have gotten a lot of interesting comments. That's what I want to happen. Now a question from me. Are you not acquainted with sarcasm? I thought your generation was raised on Saturday Night Live. Maybe that was the generation before yours!

    You are worried about memory on the iPod Touch? Never fear. My iPod holds all 4000+ songs from 350+ CDs, loads of pictures, hundreds of hours of podcasts, 20 or so full length videos and is still only half full. The $139 Kindle will hold up to 3,500 books at once. Enough?

    But that is not the real response to your memory fear. The iPod Touch is connected to the internet. We have almost all information available at all times and in practically all places. Won't that do? It is stored in the cloud!

    ReplyDelete